Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Another milestone

We've hit another milestone with Alex. We officially taken him out of a crib and moved him to a toddler bed. I guess I should say that HE has officially taken himself out of a crib. So, to mark 20 months old, we are getting rid of the crib.
I really was not planning on getting rid of the crib so soon. In fact, I was thinking recently, that I would like to keep him in it until he's at least 3 years old. I have never moved my kids out of a crib until they were at least 2 or 2 1/2 years old.
Every time we put Alex in the crib, he would promptly climb out. And the mattress was as low as it could go. He started climbing out in the night as well. Since it really isn't that safe for him to be continually taking the leap from bed, we moved him to a toddler bed. I thought about getting a crib tent. But Alex is such a busy boy, I decided that it probably wouldn't contain him for much longer.
Now, I just put Alex in bed, and shut the door. He screams and pounds on the door. After a few minutes he calms down. I've tried rocking him, but he won't let me. He fights to get down the whole time. I physically can't handle rocking him--it is too hard. I've also tried lying down next to him in bed. He is such a light sleeper, that it wakes him up if I move at all. Sometimes he falls asleep in the recliner rocker in his room. If we try to move him, he wakes right up. Then it starts the screaming session again. I guess all is good until he learns to open the door--then it'll be time for a child lock. It would be much more dangerous for me to let him roam the house, than to lock him in.
Anyone want an old crib? I'll probably send it to DI this weekend.

3 comments:

Rowley Family said...

Wow ! Alex is getting so big!

suefoutz said...

Kendall is still in her crib we have not even lowered the matress yet and she never tries to climb out. She does however throw a fit when we don't get her out of bed when she is ready and it needs to be the right parent so if she is crying for daddy and he has left for work already I know it is going to be a long day.

suefoutz said...

Oh I almost forgot the reason I started to comment. Your post distracted me. Here is the blog I was telling you about. If you want to go to a movie let me know. Sorry about lunch I am trying not to be such a flake.

http://www.mykidseyeview.com/2009/06/ongoingcheap-and-free-movies-this.html