Friday, August 21, 2009

A small moment





The Teddy Bear 1K last Saturday was quite rainy. Anna thought it was great. She splashed in every puddle and had a lot of fun. Caleb's shoe fell off and he hated the rain. He was crying by the time he finished. He was extremely grumpy.
It is interesting how attitude makes a huge difference in how we deal with things.
I know in life, that sometimes I am the one crying in the rain. But there have also been times where I've been the one splashing in the puddles. One of the biggest things that has helped me as I've gotten older is this: PERSPECTIVE. When I was younger, all I could see was then and there. Sometimes when things are hard, I try to step back and think about the big picture.
Recently, as I was studying my Sunday School lesson (I am now teaching teenagers), I came across these verses. I've know these verses for years, but they really stood out to me.
7 My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
8 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.
9 Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.
It says that "thine afflictions shall be but a small moment". The Lord was actually talking to Joseph Smith at the time. His entire life was filled with adversity and afflictions. That hardly seems like a small moment, if you only see mortality. In the eternal perspective, it really is a small moment.
I think my trials look really miniscule compared to the trials Joseph Smith went through.
I know that Heavenly Father hears and answers my prayers. I know that Jesus Christ atoned for my sins. I know that the gospel is true.

No comments: