Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Getting Rid of Stuff

When Dan and I were first married, we were really poor. At that time, I picked up the habit of not getting rid of things. Well, as our family grew, and our house was still the same size, I started to get rid of some stuff.
I'm proud to say that now I get rid of stuff all the time. I have an ongoing garbage bag of stuff to donate.
Tonight was a bit of a sentimental closet cleanout. I dumped all of my maternity clothes and baby clothes in bags to give to people and donate. We've decided that we have our hands completely full with 4 children. There's no reason to keep those clothes anymore. They are just taking up closet space. In a way, it seems kind of sad. It's the end of this chapter in our lives. We will never stare in wonder at our own newborn again. We will never sit in excitement and watch the ultrasounds. But then again, it will sure be nice to be done with diapers as soon as Alex is potty-trained. No more sleepless nights. In a few mores years we'll be able to take all of the kids to movies. Before we had Anna and Alex, we had started taking Rachel and Caleb to movies at the theater. It will be nice to leave the diaper bag behind.

4 comments:

Stacy Holmes said...

I am in the same boat! It is so heart wrenching to think that we are done, but exciting too. I am proud of you for actually tossing the maternity clothes..Mine are ready for the DI but I just can't get rid of them. I feel that if I do it will jinx me.. good luck with the range of emotions in admitting you are done..you were braver than I am by having that 4th!

The Jensen Family said...

What a double-edged sword! That time of being done with tiny babies and crazy toddlers seems like it will never end when you're in the midst of it, but I'm sure it ends all too soon once you're on the other side of it. That is exciting and sad all at the same time. Josh is going to have to sneak the baby clothes out of the house when I'm not looking when we're done.

Erin said...

Congratulations -- I guess. From one who is enjoying a newborn I can't imagine not wanting another. But it comes for all of us -- I am glad it hasn't come for me yet. Brinley is my favorite! I think that I like new babies more than 3 year olds !!!

Rowley Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.