Saturday, May 10, 2008

San Diego....without the kids




We spent a few days in San Diego this last week, without the kids. Dan had to fly to San Diego for some business meetings, and we decided to make a vacation out of it. My sister Becca watched the kids part of the time, and Dan's mom watched them part of the time. Actually, Dan's mom probably watched them more of the time.

On Monday morning, we got up early and went to the airport. We got there about 1 1/2 hours early. It took about half an hour to get through security. So then we got to sit and wait for about an hour.


When we were getting on the plane, Dan hit the exit sign with his carry-on bag and it fell off the wall. The flight attended said not to worry about it and tried to put it back on while we went to our seats. Well, it was time to take off, and we were not leaving. Then the pilot announced over the speakers that the flight was delayed because of a broken exit sign. Dan and I just looked at each other and smiled. About half an hour later, the sign was fixed and we were on our way.


After arriving in San Diego, we rented a car. Dan, being a true guy, wanted a Mustang. So we rented a nice, shiny mustang. It actually was fun to drive a nice, fun car instead of a min-van.


We toured the USS Midway, and went on a boat tour of the harbor, and then the next day we went to the San Diego Wild Animal Park. It is much easier traveling without our kids. We both missed them and pointed out all the things that each kid would like. Caleb, my little button-pusher would have loved the control room on the USS Midway. I really missed the kids, and cried a little. But I haven't had a break in so many years. It was nice.


We stayed at the Rancho Bernardo Inn in Escondido. That is where Dan's work was having meetings. I am a frugalite. I am used to Holiday Inn. The hotel was really nice. When Dan was gone to his meetings, housekeeping came to turn my bed for me. Maybe I should have had them tuck me in too. I kept myself occupied by watching tv, shopping, and going for a pedicure.


We were happy to get home. Our kids have many welcome home signs and gifts made for us. I really love our kids.

2 comments:

sinika said...

I'm all for taking breaks from the kids. I truly believe it makes us better parents....now if I can just take that step and actually do it! :) Glad you had fun!

{leah} said...

Sounds like you had fun! I'm glad you found me it's fun to be back in touch with people. Where are you guys living now? We still have Captain, and 3 kids as well. Time flys, and now look where we are....