Friday, December 24, 2010

Being Grateful

Since Dan had the day off for Christmas Eve, we decided to go running together this morning. He hasn't really run much for a few months. I run a mile here and there. We decided that we would go 2 miles together. Rachel is old enough to be in charge at home while we go running for a few minutes.
I must say, the run really sucked. It has been so long since I've run that far. And about a year and a half since I have run with Dan. I was certain that I could keep up with him. But I could not. After about 3/4 a mile, my leg felt like weight-lifting to move. He stopped off and on for me to catch up. By the time we got back home, I was so discouraged, I cried. What has happened to me? I can barely shuffle along and call it running. My leg hurts so bad after a really slow short run. After a pity-party I started thinking of all I am grateful for.
When I was playing the piano today, I remembered how lucky I am that its my left leg that has problems. I use my right leg for the pedal. And for the gas pedal when I'm driving. I can go up and down my stairs so quickly compaired to what I used to. When I was at my worst, I kept missing the phone when it would ring because I could not get to it fast enough. Heck, I have legs!! I have a cousin who had to have both of his legs amputated. I can't complain. I've got it good!

I have a husband and four wonderful kids. How blessed I am! I know there are some that want to be married that are not. I know there are some that want children but cannot. I certainly shouldn't take this for granted.

A little while later, I drove past the Murray Cemetary. As I drove past, I saw two people embracing and crying at a grave. My heart ached for them. I was recently assigned to visiting teach a new woman in our ward whose husband died two months ago. As I visited with her, and she cried, I wished that I could make it all better for her. But I can't make it all better. My nieces and nephew lost their father this year. I've been thinking of them and their first Christmas without him.

How thankful I am for the plan of salvation! I am so thankful for Jesus Christ and his sacrifice for us. He is the one that can make things all better. He is the one that atoned for our sins. He is the one that truly knows all of our pain and sorrow. He is the one that makes it possible for us to be with our families forever someday.

1 comment:

reinasmommy said...

dityma
Christine, I really enjoy reading your blog. I'm glad you keep up on it so well. Just wanted you to know I was reading!