Monday, May 2, 2011

Monday Rambling

Saturday was the school's 5-k, fun run, and healthy living fair. I am on the committee, so I spent a lot of time getting breakfast items and raffle stuff.
When we woke up on Saturday, there was an inch or two of snow on the ground. It certainly wasn't warm outside.
Dan and Rachel ran the 5K, and Caleb and Anna ran the 1 mile. Rachel got ahead of Dan in the 5K because he ran the first half mile with Caleb and Anna. She got so far ahead of him, she never even saw him. I thought that she would need him to pace her, but she obviously didn't. She was the first 5th grade girl to finish, and ran almost the entire way. I was really proud. She was really thrilled too. She hasn't been running at all. But she's been swimming a lot.
I was proud of Caleb and Anna for the 1 mile. They stuck together and finished about the same time. Dan also did well finishing the 5k.
I didn't run because I was helping out and I'm about 5 months pregnant. Alex hung out with me and had a free Jamba juice and got to jump in the bounce house. The fair turned out really well this year. My kids did not want to go home because they were having a lot of fun.
I'm glad to have that over with. Now I feel like I can relax.

Caleb has been on a basketball team this spring. It is a challenge for him. He is not aggressive, and has a hard time paying attention to what is going on. He is making a lot of progress with his basketball skills though. It is hard for me to watch, because nobody passes the ball to him and the coach doesn't put him in much at all. Maybe I'm overly emotional, but it makes me sad. He has touched the ball only once the entire season during a game. Only 3 more games to go. I won't be signing him up again.
He is happily in the chess club at school. He really likes chess. I don't even know how to play chess. Maybe one day I'll have him teach me. I really don't care if he likes sports. I just want him to be happy.

I threw my back out on Saturday, from all the fun run stuff and cleaning the entire house. I've been in pain for a few days. I thought Tylenol wasn't really doing anything, but like clockwork I start to feel worse when it wears off.

This pregnancy has actually been kind of tough. Either that or I'm just wussy.
Anna is finally excited about the baby, even though it is a boy. She wants to feel the baby kick every day.
I ordered all the nursery bedding, curtains, rug etc. and it came within a few days. I am looking forward to painting the nursery. However, I'll have to wait til I feel well enough to. I am getting excited for the baby. We don't have a name decided on. I have a name I've decided on, but Dan doesn't agree---yet. Just wait. :) Now I just need a recliner rocker or a comfy chair to sit in for feeding the baby. And a bunch of clothes. Rachel loves shopping and is anxious to shop for baby clothes. Its actually rather fun having an older daughter. The other kids and Dan hate shopping. But she doesn't, so she's my pal.

I'm counting down until school gets out. I'm excited to spend more time with the kids, and to be able to relax our schedule a bit. And have fun with the kids. I'm planning on taking the kids swimming a lot, even though I will look like a whale. We always write up a schedule of fun things we are going to do during the summer. Park day, swimming day, fieldtrip day, library day etc. Some days all the plans go down the drain. But we do stick with it a lot.

So, that's all for today's rambling. :) No pics for this one.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm sorry that this pregnancy has been so rough for you. I HATE being pregnant! Blah! Two down, two to go for me (unless the Lord has other plans).

I agree about the basketball vs. chess thing. I just want my boys to be happy and comfortable. I don't blame you for being stressed out by the games. It would stress me out too if the coach wasn't putting my son in too.

I'm impressed by what good runners you all are. I always got side aches when I ran in gym class. I actually think I'm in better cardiovascular health now than I was then because I do cardio workouts.

I hope you feel better soon. Only four more months to go. And I'm sure you don't look like a whale! Don't be so hard on yourself!

reinasmommy said...

good for Rachel for finishing the 5k first in her group. She is destined to be a runner with you two as her parents. And again, I would be happy to help you paint if you need help, I like painting. :)

Erin said...

You are a great mom. You deserve extra points for being willing to go swimming when you are pregs. Hang in there - no pregnancy lasts forever.