Thursday, April 29, 2010

Not really news.....


Today I went in for another MRI. It was of my brain and neck. After over an hour in a machine that sounds like power tools and some pokes to get an IV with dye in, the conclusion was that there's nothing wrong with my head and neck. That's good to know. If I had to choose, I think I would choose paralysis over brain damage. :)


Next, I went for the EMG testing. I'll call this the "Poke and Shock" test. They shock different muscles to test the nerves. It just felt like touching the electric fence. There are some that they can't shock, so they poke you with a needle hooked to a strange microphone. They measure the static noise from the microphone.


The EMG test wasn't really too informative. They said I had some nerve damage from the herniated disc in my lumbar spine. He didn't know if it is reversible, but said there's a good chance since I'm young.


The thoracic spine is where I have discs touching the spinal cord. I guess they can't test those nerves. That's okay. I had enough pokes and shocks for one day.


The doctor said I might need surgery for the lumbar spine and the thoracic, or maybe just the lumbar. Or maybe the lumbar now and then wait and see if the thoracic gets better. He basically just said to wait and see what the surgeon says. I go to the surgeon next week.


So today's round of tests seemed like a waste of time and lots of pokes. I could think of a hundred other ways to spend that much money and a whole day.


Yesterday my walking improved a lot. Today is a little improved over yesterday. My limp is starting to disappear. I am still wobbly on stairs and can't lift my leg much. When I try to lift my leg, my toes twitch instead. Its actually kind of funny. I've started taking a lot of anti-inflammatories. It won't fix my back, but helps the symptoms.


Tuesday was the worst day for me yet. By the end of the day it was so hard to walk. I tried crawling, but that wasn't any easier. So I just gave up and went to bed early. Rachel asked me if I wanted a cane for Mother's Day. (No, I don't want a cane for Mother's Day)


I've posted a picture that a took about a week ago. I love Spring.

5 comments:

Stacy Holmes said...

Hey kiddo..sorry for the rotten day. Some things that helped my mom alot..when the pain was at it's worse, she would go to the ER and get a pain shot, like an epidural..not sure what kind, but it helped! Then she would stay on her muscle relaxants and pain pills.
The other thing was spinal decompression...look into it, it worked for my friend, brother and mom.. Hope you find something that works! Surgery isn't the only option

The Hoggan's said...

Chrissy, It doesn't sound like today's tests were a waste of time. I am glad to hear that your head and neck are okay! Glad they finally got you in. Did it require grumping?

Nicole Marsh said...

I am sorry that is awful!! I hope that they can fix the problem quickly and you can get back to normal.

The Jensen Family said...

Oh so not fun! I'm sorry you have to go through this. That was super thoughtful of Rachel! And just another little sidenote about spinal decompression--my chiropractor's office does it and it's just included in the office visit--I know some other places can be quite expensive. I don't know alot about it, whether it's exactly the same thing or not but it might be worth looking into if you consider spinal decompression.

Erin said...

Hang in there. Hopefully you get this resolved soon.